So, how do you break in a shoe? I am going to make a little video
clip of the process in the next few weeks, and will post it for
you. But for now, try this...
* Turn the satin of the heel of the shoe inside out so that you can
see the sole.
* Place your foot in the shoe (with any padding/ouch pouches that
you will wear when dancing).
* Place the foot en pointe (dont take your whole weight on it, just
press down a little.
* Find the point of your foot where the arch ends and the heel
* Turn you finger over and find where this is on your shoe.
* Remove your foot from the shoe, and gently, using the floor,
mould the back of the shoe down to this point only.
* The rest of the shank should stay straight and the shoe should
curve perfectly up under your heel.
* This will help support you in the shoe to stop sinking down, and
will also make the shoe last longer.
You can also gently break in the demi pointe as usual.
If you are stopping ging onto full pointe because of pain in the
ankles, then please get this seen to as soon as possible. There are
often simple ways of finding out exactly what is stopping you and
you will be able to get back on pointe much faster. Do try and find
a therapist who specialises in either dancers or feet!